Please Explain Desperation End
j***@gmail.com
2017-04-08 04:31:46 UTC
I just finished the book, it was one of my favorites, but I say that about every Stephen king book haha. But I believe johnny was (possessed by God) when he on the atv after David found him and tried to tell David he had a seizure but David knew he was lying and you could tell johnny was lying by the way he couldn't look David in the eyes. There was even a point in the book when johnny asked if someone was "possessed by God". That is the best conclusion I could make of this confusing ending. But very great book. Hope someone agrees this could be possible
p***@gmail.com
2018-03-29 17:52:01 UTC
The thread is 21 years old and counting. Here goes nothing:

Johnny isn't God. He isn't God's messenger, that is David. Johnny is like the kings in the Old Testament. If they listen to God's messenger then they succeed and if they don't then they will fail. Johnny, at the end, chose to follow.

The case of the excuses early pass is interesting because we know Johnny didn't have it. David had made Johnny strip before and never found it. That means that Johnny couldn't have found it before they met or even before they were ready to go into the China Pit. There is no way Johnny could have it other than by a miracle.

Which is why the last message is so meaningful to David. He understands that somehow God gave Johnny the pass and that it was a sign of love. God may be cruel, but He is also love. Just as God had taken David's old family, hopefully to Heaven with Pie but who knows, God has given David a new family with Steve and Mary as father and mother and Cynthia as his new sister. This makes David very much like Job who lost everything in seemingly overwhelming trials, especially his family, only to have everything he had lost restored, including a new family.
Steve Hayes
2018-03-30 04:24:44 UTC

--
Steve Hayes